Tuesday, December 11, 2012

skinny stuffed shells

You know that desperate feeling that comes with paying a lot of expensive bills at once?

Today I have that feeling.

My heater hose decided today it wanted to leak antifreeze fumes into the car while I was driving, so needless to say I had an interesting morning.
Not to mention, this is the month I have to start paying back those student loans that seemed so glorious at the time.

Side note: I can't believe I graduated six months ago! Where does the time go?!

If ya'll need me, I'll be frantically playing the lottery and hoping for my money tree to start growing.

On the bright side, I'm back on the success train with recipes and have a delicious one to share today!


I was planning to pick up a few things so I could make white chicken chili last night, when at the last minute I had an epiphany - you have all the ingredients to throw something together you've never made...and avoid the grocery store.

Sold.

Things you'll need:
Enough jumbo shells to cover a baking dish in a single layer - I used about 20
1 container part-skim ricotta cheese
1 package frozen spinach
1 clove garlic
oregano, to taste
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
reduced fat Parmesan cheese
2 cups marinara sauce

Cook shells according to package directions.
When al dente, drain and rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process.

Mince garlic and put in medium mixing bowl.

Add ricotta...

...and spinach, oregano, salt, and pepper.

Stir well, and top off with some Parmesan for good measure.

Spread half a cup of marinara sauce in bottom of dish, and get to stuffing!
Put about two tablespoons-ish of your ricotta/spinach mixture into each shell.

Cover with remaining 1.5 cups marinara.

Add some more Parmesan {because let's be honest, the cheese is always the best part}, cover with glass top or aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
After 20 minutes, remove cover and let bake for 10 more minutes or until cheese has browned a bit.

And there you have it!
The simplest fancy dinner you will ever make.

After making these, I'm honestly not sure why I never thought to try them earlier.
They were so easy!
Also, they made for delicious leftovers today at work since I obviously don't know how to cook for one.
{Joe, come home to me already!}

The best thing about these is that one serving is less than 500 calories!
Closer to 400 to be exact.

Hooray for healthy Italian food!

{p.s. - Shout out to my sweet friend, Ashley, on her 23rd BIRTHDAY TODAY!! I love you and can't wait to celebrate with you soon!}

No comments:

Post a Comment