Thursday, January 31, 2013

brussel sprouts with toasted nuts and brown butter

Remember back around Christmastime when I said I was determined to make brussels sprouts even though I had never even eaten them before?

Well, that was a great decision.
Because they turned out delicious and were a great compliment to all of the other buttery, cheesy holiday foods on the table.
It can't hurt to throw a green or two in there, right?

I'll be honest with you.
The hardest part of this recipe is cutting all the darn sprouts.
And that's not because it's hard, per say.
Really it's just one of the most tedious tasks on the planet.
Cut stem, chop in half, repeat.
Over and over and over.

However, the end result was definitely worth it.

And don't even get me started on the brown butter.

How have I never used brown butter before?
Hands down I believe that is what brought the rich flavor to this dish.

Don't be surprised if you see a dessert on here soon with brown butter in it.
I'm just saying.

recipe adapted via How Sweet Eats

Things you'll need:
2 tbsp olive oil
3-4 cups raw brussels sprouts, stems removed and chopped in half
2 garlic cloves
dash of salt
dash of pepper
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped {or sub pecans for almonds or pine nuts...whatever floats your boat}

In a small skillet, toast pecans for 3-5 minutes on low heat, just until aromatic.  Stir gently or shake pan every 20 seconds-ish so you don't burn them.  {Ashley and I learned this the hard way and had to throw our first batch out!}  Remove from heat to cool.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium-high heat and saute garlic for 1-2 minutes.
Add brussels sprouts and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until browned.
{I did mine for 10 and my dad thinks they could've gone a little longer...family critiques are the most important, right?}

In a separate saucepan, heat butter on medium heat, stirring constantly until it turns a golden brown color.
Here is a more in-depth description on how to brown your own butter.
Super easy.
And did I mention it's amazing?
Remove from heat as soon as it turns brown and little specs start to appear.

Toss brussels sprouts and pecans together in a serving bowl.
Drizzle brown butter on top, and serve!

I would definitely make these again.
They were the perfect addition to a nice holiday meal, when you're looking for a way to jazz up your everyday cooking style.
And despite the butter drizzle, they actually tasted healthy and made me feel a little better about stuffing my face with this mac and cheese.

How is everyone's week going?

Mine has been super exciting because my Breville Juice Fountain Plus arrived last night!
And I got it for a steal on Amazon.
So, of course, I'll be sharing my favorite juice combos as soon as I get a chance to really play with it.
And as usual, any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It also came with a recipe for a pineapple colada that I may or may not have to try this weekend.
Summer will be here soon and I need to start doing cocktail research now, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment