Friday, January 11, 2013

two-cheese mac and cheese

I can't believe it's already Friday!

I have been a little MIA this week because my job sent me to a class to learn more about water restoration and get certified, so I spent my week doing homework and studying for the exam.
{I work for a water restoration company, if you didn't already know.}

I'm not gonna lie.
Sitting in class made me miss college a little.
A little, I said.

Let's not get too carried away.

Anyway, today I'm here to share the recipe for the macaroni and cheese I made for Christmas dinner.

This mac and cheese...

Ya'll.

It's so good.
It makes me never want to make the boxed stuff ever again.
And I can guarantee you it will make an appearance at many holidays to come.

Remember this pin floating around Pinterest for white cheddar and Parmesan mac and cheese?

I originally wanted to make that when, to my surprise, the recipe had absolutely no white cheddar OR Parmesan in it....
Seriously, who wrote the caption for that pin?
Because whoever it was is a liar.

Luckily, the actual recipe is still totally delicious...
And, honestly, you probably could sub the cheeses for white cheddar and parm if you were completely dedicated.
Whatever makes you happy.
This is the ultimate comfort food, after all.

original recipe via

Things you'll need:
16 oz. {1 box} of any pasta of your choice {I used shells because they're my favorite macaroni pasta}
1/2 cup butter
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth - one or the other, not both!
8 oz. Velveeta cheese, cubed
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, cubed
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp butter, melted {to wet breadcrumbs}

*Note: I am missing pictures of the first steps of this recipe.  What can I say...Christmas cooking is hectic!  I will add some next time I cook this.

Directions:

Cook pasta for about 7 minutes.  You want it to be a little less than done, as it is going to continue cooking when baked.

In a saucepan, melt butter.
When melted, add salt, pepper, and flour.
Stir and let cook for about a minute to make a roux.
Add milk and wine OR chicken broth {I used broth because I was out of white wine...wait, what?!}, and bring to a boil while whisking.
When it's thickened some, add cheeses and stir until melted.

Don't forget to feel free to substitute any cheeses you like!
I just like how easily Velveeta melts and the little kick of spice the pepper jack added.
Totally personal preference here though.


Now, admire your masterpiece for a second.
I had to make these pictures larger because seriously...look at that cheesy good-ness.
Immediate swoon.

Preheat oven to 350, and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Pour in assembled mac and cheese.
Mix breadcrumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter {just enough to make them crumbly and easy to handle}, and crumble on top.

Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until breadcrumbs are browned and crispy, and enjoy!

Sorry for the blurry finished product.
Obviously I was a little excited.

Cheese makes me excited...so what.

This turned out absolutely amazing though.
And got me a high-five from Ashley, who was the first taste tester.
So I'll call that a success.

This weekend Joe and I are running the Hot Chocolate 5K.
For those of you that haven't heard of this, basically you run/walk a 5K and are rewarded with hot chocolate, chocolate fondue, and treats and fruits for dipping.
I don't know about ya'll, but that's incentive enough for me to get moving.
Who doesn't like a good old fashioned sugar rush after a work out?

Happy weekend, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment