Tuesday, February 12, 2013

the great green smoothie experiment - volume 1

This week is one of those week's where I get my butt in gear because it recently dawned on me that spring is literally a month away.
Someone in the abyss of social media tools we use posted something like "36 days til' spring" and bam.
Back in the gym, I went.

I've been wanting to jump on the green smoothie bandwagon for awhile now.

Well, if I'm being honest, I was leaning more towards the green juice route.
But when your juicer sounds like a rocket lifting off into space when it's being used, it's hard to make fresh juice when your boyfriend gets to sleep until after you leave every morning.

He'll just have to live with a blender waking him up instead.

Hey, it's for the greater {healthy} good, okay?!

I'm going to be honest with you though.
I'm not a green smoothie expert.
This morning was my first attempt, which is why I feel like calling this "the great green smoothie experiment" is warranted.
Because I will absolutely be experimenting with more recipes than just this one.
And, duh, I'll share them along the way.

However, I think for a first attempt this turned out pretty darn good.

Here's what I used:
*pictures missing thus far, as this was an impromptu post. Soon to be added, of course :)

1 cup water
2 handfuls frozen fruit - I used a mix of strawberries, mango, and pineapple
1/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
1/2-1 cup almond milk
1-2 cups spinach

1. Put water and fruit in blender first.
2. Add yogurt.
3. Use enough almond milk to just cover everything.
4. Top with spinach, and blend!
5. When the fruit is blended, tap the 'liquify' button a few times to help smooth out the spinach.

And enjoy!

My green smoothie inspiration came from my dear friend and coworker, Tiffany, who is a little more seasoned in her smoothie-making as she's been doing these for a few weeks now.
Her method involves filling her blender halfway with spinach and liquifying it with water before adding any fruit or extra ingredients.

If you don't have a great blender, this might be a better way to go about it.
Personally, my blender hated liquifying at the end, so I'll definitely be trying Tiff's method tomorrow morning.

How's everyone's week going?
It's almost Valentine's Day, which happens to be one of my very favorite holidays, so this week is going smoothly for me so far!

I know, I know.
95% of people hate V-day, blah blah.
I'm sorry, but I love the idea of dedicating a day to telling people how we feel about them...
because let's be honest, we should do it everyday, but we don't.
So if we need to dedicate one day a year to love {whatever kind it may be}, then I say let's embrace it!

Plus, I am and always will be a hopeless romantic.

Anyone have any fun plans for Thursday?
Or any good smoothie recipes?

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment