Monday, March 11, 2013

spicy lime avocado toast and feta french bread pizza

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but avocado toast has really taken off in the food blog world.

And for good reason, apparently.

After reading fifteen million recipes {yes, there are that many different ways to make an avocado spread}, I decided to do some experimenting of my own and see what all the fuss was about.

Of course, just to be safe, I made a separate piece of toast that was pizza style.
Can't be too careful when you're experimenting on dinner and putting all your eggs in the avocado basket.

And thus was the birth of "fancy toast night."

Dinner is interesting when the boy is out of town.


Things you'll need:
1/2 loaf of Trader Joe's Demi French baguette, sliced longways
olive oil
1/2 avocado
1/2 fresh lime, squeezed
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, 1/4 tsp per slice
1/8 cup spaghetti sauce of your choice
1/8 cup part-skim mozzarella
1 oz. crumbled feta

Slice baguette in half, then slice in half the long way as shown above.
I like the TJ's demi baguette because it's small and calorie-friendly.
Feel free to use whatever bread you have on hand!

Drizzle a little olive oil on each half.
Put under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until slightly golden and crispy.

When bread is toasted, assemble your mini pizza.
I used traditional tomato sauce, shredded mozz, and a sprinkle of feta.
The cheesier the better, if you ask me.
Pop back in the oven under the broiler for another 1-2 minutes, until cheese is melted.

While pizza is cooking, begin assembling your avocado toast.
In a bowl, mash together avocado, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
Taste as you go and make sure the seasoning is right!
Spread on toasted bread and sprinkle with crushed red pepper.

And just like that, dinner is served!
Sprinkle some crushed red pepper on your feta pizza for some extra spice {we all know I did}
and enjoy!

This dinner took about ten minutes to throw together.
Perfect for nights like this when all I can think about is jumping into bed to watch more Scandal.
{Did I mention I watched like eight episodes yesterday? Obsessed.}

According to MyFitnessPal:

Serving: 1 slice avocado toast
Cals/serving: 194
Fat/serving: 11g
Carbs/serving: 25g
Protein/serving: 5g

Serving: 1 slice feta French bread pizza
Cals/serving: 194
Fat/serving: 8g
Carbs/serving: 19g
Protein/serving: 12g

Side note:
These came out to be the same amount of calories by complete accident.
How weird is that?

I'm going to be completely honest with ya'll.
I love pizza...
But this avocado toast was seriously delicious.
Like, I think I liked it better than the pizza.

I can't believe I just said that.
But it's true.

Go make it and tell me your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. 1. I love pizza too! People just dont get it!
    2. mmm avocado toast- but that was a LOT of crushed red pepper! Did your mouth set fire?? (although it would be a tasty fire)
    3. Im glad youre obsessed with scandal too!! SO CRAZY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mouth was pretty tingly, but I can't help it - I LOVE crushed red pepper! Almost as much as I love hot sauce haha. The spicier the better!

      And YES! Scandal is so crazy. I am behind on all my other shows now because I can't stop watching Scandal on Hulu! Good recommendation :)

      Delete