Friday, May 24, 2013

catching up + a very simple stirfry!

Ya'll.

I have been M.I.A. something serious these days.
My sincerest apologies.

It's definitely not from lack of cooking - I've been cooking up a storm in my new kitchen!

But I've also been crazy busy at work with all of the recent storms in our area.
And what have I learned from this?
If you own a home, for the love of all things good get flood insurance.

Please and thank you.

We've also been exploring our new city and getting more acquainted with the area, which has been super fun so far!
And of course, continuing to slowly pull everything together in the apartment.
It's getting there, and I couldn't be more excited about it.

Let's catch up.

Food Truck Alley in downtown Alpharetta - Joe and I have gone two out of the three weeks we've lived here.
Obsessed.
Went out for Mexican with friends and discovered the best frozen drink of my life.
I will be recreating this drink at home ASAP - for blogging purposes, of course.
My favorite meal last week - this steak salad will make an appearance on the blog as soon as I can perfect a dressing to pair it with.
All in good time.
I discovered a new dessert, and I am totally in love.
Go. Buy this. Now.
Last but not least, we finally got our king-sized bed set up!
A few more finishing touches, and we'll be done!
I don't think I can even begin to explain how pumped I am about that bed.
We've only slept in it once, and I'm already majorly in love.
It's amazing how much more space you get with a king than a queen.
Magical.

So, since I've been seriously lacking in the recipe-sharing department, I do have a quick and simple one for you today.

I don't know why, but every time it gets warm out I get intense cravings for seafood.
Tilapia, crab, grouper...you name it, I'll eat it.
Last week I was really in the mood for some shrimp, and coincidentally I was also in the mood to be lazy.

Shocking, I know.

So I decided to make one of my favorite 15-minute dinners.


Things you'll need:

1 cup organic quinoa (or brown rice)
2 cups water (or low-sodium chicken broth)
1 lb organic broccoli florets
20-25 medium, uncooked, detailed/deveined shrimp
1/2 cup Trader Joe's Soyaki sauce

Directions:

1. In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and liquid of choice and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes, until liquid is evaporated.

2. While quinoa is cooking, lightly spray a skillet with olive oil cooking spray and saute broccoli florets until warm and tender. Mine were frozen, so I sauteed them about 10-12 minutes.

3. Remove broccoli from skillet and set aside. Lightly spray pan with cooking spray again, and add shrimp. Cook for 3-5 minutes, being careful to flip often and keep an eye on the color. They're done with they're pink and cooked through!

4. Add broccoli back to skillet, and pour in Soyaki sauce. I don't really measure it out when I do it...I just put enough to cover the bottom of the pan and coat everything.

Serve on top of quinoa with extra Soyaki, if necessary!

According to MyFitnessPal:

Servings: 3 bowls
Serving size: 1 bowl
Cals/serving: 353
Fat/serving: 7g
Carbs/serving: 55g
Protein/serving: 18g

Joe and I each had one bowl {the quinoa is so filling!} and had some leftovers for the next day.
All in 15 minutes.
Not too bad if you ask me!

What are your plans for the weekend?

We're having a little get together at our place, which means I'll be in the kitchen tonight prepping some goodies for everyone!
Including my favorite sangria.

It wouldn't be a holiday weekend at the pool without sangria, am I right, friends?

Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment