Wednesday, September 4, 2013

cinnamon vanilla doughnuts with chocolate glaze {and sprinkles!}

I am the worst blogger ever these days.

But it's for good a reason, I promise.
Life has kept me very busy since the last time I shared a recipe.
{But that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking up a storm!}

First off, my new job is going awesome.
Seriously, I'm in love with it.
I've always thought human resources would be a good career path for me, and now I know I've finally found something I love doing.

Some exciting things have happened the past couple weekends, too.

Our sweet pup turned two years old.
Seriously, time, slow down!


I discovered the autumn version of summer shandy, just in time for football season!
Don't talk to me about the Dawgs right now.
Just don't.


And the biggest, most exciting news of all...
I bought my very first car!

I haven't named it yet {I name all of my cars...thank you for your years of service, Brenda and Maude}, but I'm so in love.
Who needs a ride somewhere?!

In honor of all of these amazing things going on, tonight I'm sharing a recipe that I can't believe I haven't given you yet.
I came here ready to tell you all about the chicken pot pie I grew up on, but I'm in a celebratory mood {definitely still on my new car high} and a savory recipe just isn't going to cut it.
Chicken pot pie will just have to wait until another day.

recipe adapted via here and here
Things you'll need:

For the doughnuts {makes 6}:

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
6 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
6 tbsp almond milk
1 egg
splash of vanilla extract {1 tbsp-ish}
1 tbsp butter, melted

For the glaze:

3-4 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp light corn syrup
1/4 cup almond milk
3 oz. semisweet Baker's chocolate, roughly chopped
1 cup powdered sugar

*Note: This recipe makes way more glaze than doughnut, so feel free to:
A. double {or triple} the doughnut recipe
B. halve the glaze recipe
C. dip other goodies in the leftover chocolate, like strawberries, cookies, pretzels, popcorn...sky's the limit! {This is the option I vote for every time, of course}

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla extract, butter, and egg.
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until combined.
Using two spoons, carefully spoon mixture into lightly greased doughnut pan.
{I've also piped it into the pan using a Ziploc bag with the corner snipped off, but the dough is pretty sticky and I find it easiest to just use some spoons.}

Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes, until you can touch the doughnut and it feels like it's set and spongy like a cake.
If it's not done, you'll know.
The one on the bottom left was my tester, hence the lumpy fingerprint on it.
While doughnuts are baking, in a small saucepan on medium heat, whisk together butter, milk, vanilla extract, and corn syrup.
When butter has melted, reduce heat to low and whisk in chopped chocolate.
Remove from heat, stir until chocolate has completely melted, then mix in powdered sugar until smooth.

Dip the doughnuts in chocolate one by one.
Sometimes I like to give them two or three coats just to take care of business.
If you don't like the dunking method, you can also drizzle the chocolate on top.
Whatever floats your boat.
Sprinkle on your topping of choice {I went with tiny rainbow sprinkles} and enjoy!

It's no secret I love combining cinnamon and vanilla, as seen here and here.
But ya'll.
These doughnuts are the bomb.
You can't go wrong with cinnamon and vanilla covered in chocolate.
It's like having cake for breakfast!

I told that to my dad the first time I made these, and he said "you're not really an adult until you have cake for breakfast."

Words of wisdom for your Wednesday.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your pup! :) He's adorable! And those donuts look awesome. I've always been intrigued by the donut pans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The donut pan is dangerous, but awesome! And for $8.99 on Amazon, you can't beat it! :)

      Delete