Monday, December 16, 2013

white chocolate marshmallow pops

Saturday night, Joe and I went to a holiday party at my manager's house.

It was one of those great parties where there are tons of homemade appetizers, a roaring fire in the fireplace, and enough wine for a small army.
Plus, the most adorable little olive penguins made an appearance.


Are those not the cutest things you've ever seen?!

I left the party telling Joe that I can't wait for the day that we have a place big enough to entertain guests like that.
You know I've been itching to host a festive get-together!

However, since it's too late in the season to throw my own shindig, I begged my manager to at least let me make a holiday treat for hers.
She was reluctant but eventually realized I wasn't going to take no for an answer and {thankfully} conceded.

Marshmallow pops for everyone!

I saw my idol, Ree Drummond, make these on Food Network a few weeks back, and I remember specifically making a mental note to keep them in mind for the holidays.
They're a cinch to throw together, easily customizable, and they were a huge hit!
And by huge hit, I mean not just the children loved them.
Multiple strangers came up to tell me how much they enjoyed them.

Score!

via The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:

1 bag of regular-sized marshmallows
1 package vanilla flavored almond bark
separate dishes filled with toppings - crushed peppermint, pretzels, sprinkles, candy, etc.
1 bag lollipop sticks

Melt almond bark using a double boiler until smooth {or pop in the microwave and stir every 30 seconds until melted}.
Dip lollipop stick into melted chocolate, then push into marshmallow, not quite going all the way through.
While chocolate is hardening, prep your toppings.
I put some peppermints in a Ziplock bag, used a rolling pin to smash them into tiny bits, and poured the bits into a small bowl.
I did the same thing with a handful of pretzels.
Of course, I had to do a bowl of sprinkles too.

Dip/roll each marshmallow into the melted chocolate, then tap on the side of the bowl to discard any excess.
Using your fingers, sprinkle on any topping that you like.
Don't be scared to mix and match!
Place the pop {stick side up} on a piece of parchment paper to harden.

After 5-10 minutes, they'll be ready to eat!
{...or to store in a large Tupperware dish for easy transport.}

It really doesn't get much easier than that.
And like I said, the people loved them.
Particularly the pretzel-covered ones, which is not super surprising since you can't beat a dessert that's salty and sweet.

I think these would also be really delicious sprinkled with crushed oreo, or dipped in dark chocolate and covered with crushed peanuts.
The sky's the limit really!

Got any fun plans this week?

Tonight we're going to one of my favorite restaurants, Spice, to celebrate a friend's promotion.
I see you, homemade bleu cheese chips!
Then, Thursday, my office is having an ugly sweater party/breakfast potluck.
I don't know which part I'm more excited about, making an ugly sweater to wear or eating all of the goodies at the potluck!

Thursday also happens to be mine and Joe's FIVE year anniversary.

Seriously, Father Time, slow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment