Wednesday, January 15, 2014

resolutions

image via
let me know if you know the original source!
Last year, I did a year in review post.
Obviously I'm a little late to the party this year to get that going again {woops!}, but after looking over the list of things I wanted to accomplish throughout 2013, I realized something.
I actually did accomplish those things in one way or another.

Gym-going was still sporadic, but it happened.
I tried tons of new recipes {and even realized a newfound love for baking}.
Joe and I went on another trip to Mexico.
Pup doesn't beg for food as much {unless he's at his grandparents' house...I'm looking at you, Mr. D!}.
Cleaning wise, I still dread it.
But I got better about keeping the kitchen clean, which was one of the major things I needed to be doing anyway.

Lets just say collectively 2013 was a success, yes?

It's funny, because after writing those resolutions, I don't think I ever looked at them again.
But on some subconscious level I must have known they were out in internet land somewhere because I found myself working on all of them without even realizing it.

So I figured why not try it again?
I realize it's already January 15th...but still.
With all of the things going on this year, it couldn't hurt to make a concrete list somewhere to remind me of who I want to be at the end of the year.
Here are six things I've been thinking about {and I have put some thought into these, hence why it's taken me until the 15th to get this list together}:

1.  De-clutter.  Particularly, my apartment.  It felt so good throwing stuff away when we moved in, and ideally I'd like to continuously be throwing out the junk we don't need {i.e. piles and piles of mail on our dining room table - ugh!}.

2.  Meal plan more often.  Like, every week, not every other week.  And maybe even include a Friday or Saturday so that we're not eating out both of those nights.

3.  Breathe/don't get overwhelmed.  It's two weeks into this engagement, and choosing a venue has proved to be quite stressful.  No one warns you about that, I swear!  So going forward, I'd really like to take a moment every now and then to breathe, look around, and really soak up what's happening around me.  I don't want to forget what all of this is really about - starting a life with Joe.

4.  Write more.  I was a sporadic blogger the latter part of 2013, so in 2014 I want to change that.  I want to share more recipes, as well as write more about my thoughts.  It really does help getting them all out somewhere.  Maybe I'll even start some kind of weekly series this year...Wedding Wednesday, anyone?

5.  Make time.  We are always constantly checking our schedule and booking up weekend after weekend, to the point where sometimes we have to make plans a month in advance!  This year, I want to work on saying "no" more, not feeling obligated to do every single activity I'm asked to do.  I think this will help naturally free up time for the things I really want to do.

6.  Learn what it means to be a good wife.  This one will probably be ongoing for the rest of my life, and it's definitely something I want to continuously be working on.  These days, it seems like a lot of people don't put enough stock into really working at their marriages.  This is not a mistake I intend to make, I can guarantee you that.

So there you have it.  Six things I'd like to work on in 2014.

Did you make any resolutions?
Do you have any advice for me on how to keep some of mine?

Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment